Here we’ll cover everything you need to know about steering and suspension repair, common steering and suspension problems, and how to maintain your vehicle’s steering and suspension systems.
What Are Steering and Suspension Systems?
Before we dive into steering and suspension repair, let’s take a quick look at what these systems are and how they work.
The Steering System
The steering system is responsible for allowing you to steer your vehicle in the direction you want to go. It consists of several components, including the steering wheel, steering column, steering gearbox, tie rods, and ball joints. When turning the steering wheel, the steering column rotates, which then causes the steering gearbox to move. This movement is then transmitted to the wheels via the tie rods and ball joints, which turn the wheels in the desired direction.
The suspension system is responsible for keeping your vehicle’s wheels in contact with the road surface. It consists of several components, including springs, shock absorbers, struts, control arms, and sway bars. When you drive over bumps or uneven road surfaces, the suspension system absorbs the shock and helps to keep your vehicle stable.
Common Steering and Suspension Problems
- Uneven tire wear or worn out tires.
- Pulling to one side while driving.
- Vibrations or shaking while driving.
- Difficulty steering or handling the vehicle.
One of the most common steering problems is a loose or worn steering gearbox. When this happens, you may notice that your steering wheel feels loose or that your vehicle wanders from side to side. Another common problem is worn tie rods or ball joints, which can cause your vehicle to vibrate or shake while driving.
When it comes to suspension repairs, one of the most common problems is worn-out shock absorbers or struts. This can cause your vehicle to bounce or sway while driving. Worn-out control arm bushings can also cause similar issues.
Wheel Suspension Repair
If you hear a loud noise when you go over bumps, it may be a sign of worn-out sway bar links or bushings. These components are responsible for keeping your vehicle stable and can lead to handling issues if they are not repaired.
Regularly checking your vehicle’s suspension system can help you catch problems early and avoid more costly repairs down the line. During a suspension check, our trained technicians will inspect the various components of your suspension system, including the springs, shock absorbers, and control arms.
We will also check for signs of wear and tear and make recommendations for any necessary repairs.
Auto Suspension Shop
If you need steering and suspension repair, it’s important to contact our suspension shop. We have experience working on any vehicle make and model and we only use genuine high-quality parts.
Steering and Suspension Maintenance
Maintaining Your Vehicle’s Steering and Suspension Systems
To keep your vehicle’s steering and suspension systems in good condition, it’s important to perform regular maintenance tasks.
- Checking your tire pressure regularly to ensure that your tires are properly inflated. Over or underinflated tires can cause uneven wear on your tires and suspension components.
- Getting regular wheel alignments to ensure that your wheels are properly aligned. Misaligned wheels will cause uneven tire wear and can lead to steering and handling problems.
- Having your suspension system checked regularly by our trained technicians. We can catch issues early and prevent more costly repairs down the line.
- Avoiding potholes and other rough road surfaces as much as possible. This can help prevent damage to your suspension components.
- Being mindful of your driving habits. Avoiding sudden stops or hard turns can help prevent excessive wear and tear on your suspension system.
Taking care of your vehicle’s steering and suspension systems is essential for a safe and smooth ride. From steering repairs to suspension repairs, there are a variety of problems that can occur, and Twisted Wrench Auto Repair in Golden, CO has got you covered!
Steering and Suspension Repair Near Me
If you’re looking for steering and suspension repair near you, Twisted Wrench Garage can help!. Be sure to read our reviews and give us a call @ (303) 927-6862.